For thousands of years the Chinese have used therapeutic cupping for many health conditions, including asthma, fever, pain, TMJ, sinus congestion and many other physical concerns. Facial cupping can be transformative to your appearance either as a stand-alone treatment, or as an addition to acupuncture facial rejuvenation.
By increasing blood flow and circulation to the skin, cupping can help the skin to
- Increase local circulation to the skin,
- Enhance absorption of lotions or serums
- Increase blood flow
- Drain stagnant fluids and ease puffiness
Facial cups are small and come in various shapes especially designed for your face. After applying a special lotion, a small cup is either “parked” for a few seconds over a deep wrinkle to increase blood flow to the area, or it is moved along the face and down the neck to drain lymphatic fluid and stimulate blood flow.
This treatment will bring collagen to the surface, reduce puffiness & dark circles, diminish lines, drain nasal sinuses and increase lymphatic circulation. Conditions such as TMJ pain and sinus pressure are also relieved. The increased local blood supply will bring nourishment to the muscles and skin and allow for toxins to be carried away via the venous and lymphatic systems. My patients describe feeling very relaxed and deep warmth long after the treatment has ended.
Facial Rejuvenation cupping is entirely painless and is not an irritant to the skin; it can be used on rosacea, melasma and on sensitive skin.
Facial Gua Sha
- Facial Gua Sha is a technique in which specially crafted hand held pieces of smooth jade are used to invigorate the skin, smooth out wrinkles and increase blood supply. Facial Gua Sha can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, melasma and dark circles. Facial Gua Sha is used as part of a comprehensive acupuncture facial rejuvenation program for wrinkles, sagging and puffiness. It can address areas such as the neck and jowls, which are prone to sagginess. The increased blood circulation helps to detoxify the face and reduce inflammation. By providing increased blood flow to the face, the skin is better nourished and therefore healthier.
- Part of the benefit of the treatment is that acupuncture points on the face are massaged with the Gua Sha tool, which in turn benefits the corresponding Chinese meridians and internal organs. The better your liver and kidney are working, the healthier your skin will appear!
- A gentle massaging technique is used for deep lines, such as those between the eyebrows and on the forehead. This procedure relaxes the muscles, increases blood flow and rejuvenates the skin. The more relaxed the muscles are, the more relaxed you feel. Much in the same way that smiling causes you to feel happier, having a tensely furrowed brow can elicit, worry, pensiveness and anger.
- I offer Facial Cupping and Facial Gua Sha as part of a comprehensive facial rejuvenation treatment or as a stand-alone session.
Facial cupping video